Saturday, December 22, 2007

Things you can do without children in the house

1. Crank up the stereo on Saturday night and dance like disco freaks until 2 am (what we did on my birthday weekend)
2. Go away on a 2 week Spanish holiday without ANY guilt (except of the financial kind, but I figure we've done frugal to death by this point), which is our plan sometime this winter
3. Completely skip Christmas because you can't be bothered...

Number 3 is a bit of a sticking point, actually. Normally, I wouldn't mind being bothered -- last year I finally got over being too grieved to decorate -- but this year, I have not had the energy to dig out the boxes of lights and garlands, never mind actually hang them up. And since we got 2 feet of snow before we had a chance to get the outdoor lights up, that is just not happening (though, we're not the only one with that score -- the whole neighbourhood is decidedly less lit up this year). So, 3 days before the "big day", I have not put up a single decoration, baked a single Christmas cookie or wrapped a single present. Luckily, I'm off the hook for presents, as we're not going down to Boston with my family. We have to WORK next week, which really kind of stinks. (Mind you, as devastated as I was when I realised that we'd be spending another holiday "à deux", now it's seeming like a very civilised option.)

The lack of energy/holiday spirit is partly down to craziness at work, partly down to major melancholy. Christmas is a very child-oriented holiday and it is hard not to feel bitter and sad about everything we're missing out on. So, having an undecorated house, with no tree and no presents seems fitting in a household that won't be visited by Santa Claus any time soon.

I will have to get my act together at some point, since we're having a party next Saturday (for "New Year's Eve Eve Eve"). I'll decorate post-hoc -- much less stress!

Happy Holidays everyone -- if they can't be truly joyous, I hope they are at least peaceful. Thinking of all the little ones who are especially missed at this time of year...

:: posted by Ann Howell, 3:40 PM

4 Comments:

I know what you mean about just not feeling it for the holidays. My decorations are pithy and only a few gifts have much thought put into them.
Your birthday celebration sounded fun, and I envy your vacation plans!
Season's greetings to you (Happy Festivus!). Here's to a good year ahead.
Blogger Julie, at 12/24/2007 8:18 AM  
Celebrating new years is a decidedly more grown-up occasion. I hope you have a great time!
Blogger Lut C., at 12/24/2007 8:59 AM  
I'm always glad that, because I'm Jewish, I don't have to deal with all the Christmas baggage. You're so right that much of the holiday is child-centered and I hope the season goes as well as it possibly can.
Blogger niobe, at 12/25/2007 11:13 AM  
I hope Christmas was kind to you.

Now as for the chair, CANADIAN TIRE!! $169.00!!! They have Canadian Tire in Montreal, right?

If so, go get one. Go get one today. I insist.
Blogger msfitzita, at 1/17/2008 9:48 AM  

Add a comment