Thursday, February 22, 2007

Hooray for Fancy Cheese Day!

(How could I leave a misspelling (Horray for Fancy Cheese Day) in my latest post title for 2 days? I blame it on the cold weather...)

Next Tuesday is Fancy Cheese Day in our household. This is the day that we become financially solvent again. No more having to choose between heating oil and gas for the car, no more juggling bills ("So, who won't get paid *this* month?")... I can go into the grocery store and buy whatever I want, including fancy cheese. Alright, I'm not going to go overboard... I will probably restrain myself to a hunk of Morbier and maybe a little wheel of brie. But my weekly food budget will literally *double*, which will be so liberating! I can buy meat other than ground beef, a nice plump whole chicken, instead of just an econo-pack of thighs. I can't wait!

I also can't wait for these:



They should be arriving at my parents' place any day now. I'd found them before Christmas for $120 at Nordstroms. Since I didn't have $120, I just bookmarked the page and went by every now and then to have a wistful peek. A few weeks ago it occurred to me that they might be on sale by now, so I did a quick Google search and found them at SmartBargains for $50!!!! They had only ONE pair left in my size in black, so I immediately phoned my mom and asked if she would buy them for me. She pays me the princely sum of $25/month to run a website for a local historical group she's in, so I offered to take the boots in exchange for 2 months' "salary". She agreed, and my dad quickly got onto the site and snagged the last pair. (Interestingly, the price has gone up to $80 since then, even though they don't have any new stock.) I'm so excited! I'm not much of a clothes horse, but boots are a real passion for me -- I'd wear them every day, if I could. Now I just have to wait a few weeks until I go back home for a visit. (But I want them NOW!!!!!)

Other than that, my contract is going well enough. I'm dealing with a slightly less-than-competent project supervisor, who also happens to be a friend of mine, so it's a bit tricky. I'm trying to make my worth known to the company at large, while keeping a healthy distance from my "boss". He's a bright guy, he's just not a great manager. At any rate, there's not much to manage -- we each have projects to do, fairly independent of each other. I'll just do my best and hope it all works out in the end.

Until then, I'm already planning some sumptuous meals for next week...

Labels: , ,

:: posted by Ann Howell, 1:12 PM

5 Comments:

Seriously awesome boots! Enjoy them...and your fancy cheese. You deserve it!
Blogger Catherine, at 2/22/2007 3:40 PM  
ooo, i hope you can find something french and goaty and unpasteurized!!! congratulations!
Blogger laura, at 2/22/2007 9:57 PM  
Oooooh I love those boots! Not the kind of heel I can manage w/o breaking bones and stuff, but, darn those are NICE! (I like me some boots, too, my favorite being an old pair of shit-kickers from HS. You can take the girl out of the country...)
Enjoy your fancy cheese. Splurge and get some fancy crackers, too!
Blogger Julie, at 2/23/2007 9:55 AM  
Yummy cheese is wonderful! My BIL sent us some Stilton (I think... it was strong blueish something) from his business travels in Britian... and steve and i fought over it... well not really, but sort of!

And the new boots look amazing. I haven't ventured into the world of pointy healed boots, but consider it occasionally. :)
Blogger SWH, at 2/23/2007 11:06 AM  
They are some really cool boots! Glad they came your way at the right price. And happy Fancy Cheese Day! There is a vineyard around the corner from our house that sells some really lovely local artisan cheeses (cow, goat and sheep cheeses so it's a great selection too). A bottle of wine and hunk of cheese is one of my guilty pleasures.
Blogger Heather, at 2/26/2007 7:15 PM  

Add a comment