Friday, July 14, 2006

Now that the dust has settled...

Well, I'm recovering from this recent disaster. Yesterday pretty much sucked. I spent the day cleaning up the mess that the intruders made, getting madder with every item that I put back. Frustration, helplessness and anger welled up so viscerally at one point that I spazzed out for a mintute and started throwing pillows around (the same ones that I had just picked up off the floor and put back neatly on the sofa). And even after I pulled myself together following that little episode, I was an emotional wreck most of the day. I'd be in the middle of a completely mundane task, like emptying the dishwasher or taking out the trash, and tears would well up in my eyes for no apparent reason. I did find myself thinking about Lydia a lot, probably because of the shock of finding her memory box spilled out all over the place (and then going through everything in it, just to make sure none of it was damaged). Having our home invaded and our valuables stolen also just made me think about how unimportant the "stuff" was. It didn't matter that they got my laptop and some jewelry and my husband's ID -- we were both unharmed. Besides a small (virtually worthless) coin collection of now defunct currencies and my husband's passport with the stamps from all of his world travels, they didn't take anything of sentimental value. They were just things, which will, with any luck, be covered by insurance.

It has really made me think about what's important. I talked to my husband about it last night and I told him that I want to go ahead with the procreation plan. I know he and I still have a lot to work out, but given that it'll probably be well over a year before we have a living child to deal with, we've got plenty of time to heal while I'm being poked and prodded. And who knows, baby-making nookie might turn out to be very healing in its own right.

Anyway, I am not going to let this burglary turn me into a paranoid freak who's scared of her own shadow. I'll probably double-check that I've locked the door from now on, but I am not going to give into extreme feelings of vulnerability, just because we suffered an unlucky hit. I'm convinced it was random. This is prime time for thieves, with a lot of people being away on vacation, and our driveway was empty. It's just too bad that we didn't have better bars on the basement windows (that's how they got in, they ripped out the bars). Anyway, we will replace those and possibly put up a fence to block off the back of the house (which we had been thinking of doing anyway, for privacy reasons), but otherwise life will go on as usual. Besides the uzi-toting ex-Navy Seal we've got standing guard, of course. He makes a nice addition to any home...
:: posted by Ann Howell, 3:21 PM

4 Comments:

it's so tough to be violated in your private space, but you are doing an excellent job of taking away the burglars' power over you. good for you!
Blogger laura, at 7/14/2006 6:07 PM  
Having ID papers stolen is worrying though. What are they planning to do with those?


You've got some big plans there. Good luck.
Blogger Lut C., at 7/14/2006 6:54 PM  
No idea. They won't get far with my husband's identity, though. He's got no credit to speak of!
Blogger Ann Howell, at 7/14/2006 7:23 PM  
I am glad you are not allowing yourself to be scared by it, and that you are feeling better! Good deal.
Blogger kate, at 7/14/2006 7:35 PM  

Add a comment