Friday, May 12, 2006

Highs and lows

As a few people have pointed out, it's been a roller-coaster week here in blogland. It's been largely overshadowed by Catherine's devastating loss of Travis in the same week that marked the first birthday of her first "too-good-for-earth" son, Alex. The fact that she has one healthy, breathing child toddling around doesn't make her situation any less horrific. That's just way too much sadness for one family.

And then we have the wonderful news of the safe arrival of Jill's new daughter Caitlin. A hopeful, jubilant event that deserves to be celebrated with all of the love and joy that we can muster.

And in between there were a few early and mid-term pregnancies that had their share of scary, trepidatious, and also cautiously optimistic moments.

I think the most heartening aspect surrounding all of the news this week is how everyone rallied round those who needed comfort and celebrated with those who had happiness to share. I was particularly in awe at the tremendous amount of grace that Catherine displayed when she joyfully posted the news of Jill's healthy delivery, just days after losing Travis. When most of us would be subsumed with grief, unable to think of anyone or anything else other than our own horrible loss, she was able to share in Jill's happiness with complete sincerity. That is a strength I envy and as I wade through my own petty problems I hope to use her example to help me act with as much grace and forebearance as I can muster.
:: posted by Ann Howell, 7:48 AM

2 Comments:

I am in awe of Catherine as well. I am not sure I would have been checking Jill's blog if I was in her situation. I am still so angry and sickened that she has suffered the death of another baby. There are no words to describe just how cruel and unfair this is.
Blogger Anam Cara, at 5/14/2006 3:19 PM  
I have a confession...It's so much easier to be happy for a friend with a new baby when she lives half a world away. :o)
Blogger Catherine, at 5/14/2006 4:47 PM  

Add a comment