Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mother's Day to the rest of us

It's Mother's Day, and once again there will be no handmade cards nor breakfast in bed nor even dandilions in a jar to mark the day. There will be nothing, in fact. Nobody in my own family (not even my husband) has found it necessary these past two years to recognize my motherhood on this day. Perhaps they're trying to be kind by not reminding me of my loss, as if I would forget on such a day, or perhaps they just don't consider me a mother. Either way, it amounts to the same thing.

So, as another Mother's Day is upon us, I just wanted to wish all of you in blogland a peaceful day. Whether you have children by your side or just in your memory, I hope you can find some small way of celebrating your strength, beauty, compassion, creativity, and loving nature -- all of the qualitites that make us mothers in our hearts.
:: posted by Ann Howell, 7:26 AM

7 Comments:

happy mother's day to you, bron - wishing you some peace.
Blogger laura, at 5/14/2006 11:39 AM  
It may not be a "happy" or celebratory day, but I do I wish you a peaceful Mother's Day today. (((hugs)))
Blogger Anam Cara, at 5/14/2006 3:20 PM  
Happy Mother's Day, Ann.
Blogger Julie, at 5/15/2006 12:17 AM  
A peaceful mother's day to you too.:)
Blogger zarqa, at 5/15/2006 3:29 PM  
Hey there. I too am married to a Brit and as silly as this sounds I often wonder if some of his "quirks" are cultural... the introversion, the conservative nature, the inability to reach out at times... sound silly? perhaps. I'm not sure. Anyway happy belated Mother's Day to you as well, it is always a somewhat "tricky" day to navigate....
Blogger onegreyhorse, at 5/15/2006 8:39 PM  
I'm finally back and on a computer!

Thanks for the happy mother's day wish. I wished the same for you. You've been in my thoughts lately (as i believe you mentioned about me) because of the 1 and 2 year birthdays that are coming up. I used to think that by 2 years it must feel like forever ago, but getting close to one year I'm not so sure. I feel like if someone told me that instead of it being almost 11 months since Kate died, it had only been 11 weeks or 11 days, I would say 'ok'... i can see that. Time seems to move strangely in relation to the death of your own child/baby.

Thanks for the comments, I've been meaning to write back for awile!
Hugs
Blogger SWH, at 5/16/2006 7:47 AM  
Happy Mother's Day (albeit a wee bit belated) to you too. I hope there was some peace in it for you, somehow.

((((((((HUGS))))))))
Blogger msfitzita, at 5/17/2006 9:57 PM  

Add a comment