Thursday, May 25, 2006

Goodbye Nelson, we hardly knew ye

Well, I'm back from visiting my parents. It was a bittersweet visit. I had brought my dog Nelson down with the hopes that we could find a new home for him, or at least a shelter that would take him. Neither of these options panned out, so I had no choice to bring him to the pound. It absolutely broke my heart, but there was nothing else I could do. The bigger he got, the more evident it was that there was a lot of pit bull in him and without extensive training and constant vigilance, he was going to be a potential threat. On separate occasions, he attacked both of my parents' dogs when they went after his food, and his viciousness really frightened me. I had a long conversation with a close family friend who happens go be a vet and he concurred that Nelson would need life-long training and could never be left alone with other animals. The fact that we live in a densely populated area with an unfenced yard compounds the risk. He was not a good match for us and had I known that he was a pit bull, I never would have taken him. But that doesn't do much to allay the sadness I feel about losing him. It's going to be a long while before I will wake up in the morning and not instinctively steel myself up to take him outside. Despite everything, I miss him and am heartbroken that it had to end like this.

Other than that I'm just getting over a nasty bout of food poisoning that voided me of all fluids and solids in my body that weren't permanently attached to a vital organ repeatedly Sunday night. It took me a day and a half to recover and I'm still not 100%. On the bright side, I've probably lost a pound or two.

That's it for now. I'm too sad about Nelson to write about anything else. Who knew I'd miss the spastic, shoe-destroying nutcase so much? I'll catch up on the ponderings from the weekend some other time.
:: posted by Ann Howell, 4:17 PM

2 Comments:

It's so sad when we have to part with a pet, even one we didn't think we really 'liked' all that much. I'm sure he'll find a suitable home. Hang in there.
Blogger Julie, at 5/26/2006 9:30 AM  
I hope someone who has the time and energy for Nelson gets him.

Mrs. Fetched doesn’t need food poisoning to get voided. A good bit of fiber will do her quite nicely. She thought it was just green leafy stuff that would do her like that, until I made some hummus last week....
Blogger Larry Kollar, at 5/26/2006 11:20 PM  

Add a comment