Saturday, April 29, 2006

My perfect angel

It's amazing how the grief can really kick you in the butt, even after all of this time. I was just downstairs watching "The Name of the Rose" with my husband and all of a sudden, out of nowhere, I just started thinking about holding my dead daughter in my arms. I relived the whole surreal scene in the hospital when the nurse placed her in my arms and left the room and I was left alone with this tiny, silent creature. And once again I had tears streaming down my face. Why did this happen, why couldn't I protect her? Why did she have to die? I have asked these questions so often over the past couple of years (almost), that I am surprised at the intensity at which they still haunt me. I guess there is no timespan to grief. I guess I will always carry this with me and that from time to time it will continue to kick me in the butt. Maybe that's how I will stay connected to Lydia. Maybe the sadness keeps her real to me. I just wish so much that it weren't so; I wish she were here and I didn't have to live with this grief. No words can describe how much I miss her. I will always treasure that one first and final moment I had with her in the hospital. I just with that it had been the first of many.
:: posted by Ann Howell, 9:20 PM

6 Comments:

I'm sorry.

I think you are right, I don't think the pain and grief ever go away. They lose their role as a central preoccupation and the sharp edges are blunted a bit over time, but they are always going to be with you.
Blogger grumpyABDadjunct, at 4/30/2006 8:34 AM  
I wish it had been too. {{{hugs}}}
Blogger Catherine, at 4/30/2006 9:11 AM  
I guess that is what grief is.... especially grief for a baby. All of the "one times" will never be enough.

hugs
Blogger SWH, at 4/30/2006 4:29 PM  
it changes and shifts, but it never goes away, does it?
Blogger laura, at 4/30/2006 11:51 PM  
(((((((((hugs)))))))))) No, it never goes away. I wish it had been the one of many many moments too...
Blogger kate, at 5/03/2006 8:51 AM  
It catches me often out of the blue too. And nothing will really make up for that loss. It's something we just have to carry around forever I guess. So much more than just sad, so much more than just missing.((hug))
Blogger zarqa, at 5/03/2006 5:34 PM  

Add a comment