Saturday, March 18, 2006

We are the world...

Putting aside my own dire straits for a moment this week, I followed a link that someone sent me about a charitable resource for American teachers: DonorsChoose and was pretty impressed. It seems like a great way for teachers to find funding for special projects. Potential donors can browse a list of projects that needs funding and give accordingly. I think it's a great idea that could be possibly spread to other areas, although as my brother is an elementary school teacher in the Bronx, I understand how strapped teachers are for sometimes even basic supplies. So, if you've been looking for a worthy casue to donate to, check it out. It's a fully recognized charity, as well, so everything you give to the site is tax deductible.

I don't mean to sound all "Mother Theresa" here, but despite how bad things are here right now (the mortgage is two payments behind, if that's any indication), I try not to forget how fortunate we are, really. Somehow we will get through this -- one way or another there will always be food on the table. Other people live like this all the time, with the constant anxiety of not knowing where their next meal is coming from. This is a walk in the park compared to what a great percentage of world goes through on a daily basis. So, for everyone around the world living in need, I will not complain about my own meagre setbacks anymore.

So, come on, everybody, do your best Willie Nelson: "There's a choice we're making, we're saving our own lives..."
:: posted by Ann Howell, 8:49 AM

1 Comments:

Thanks for the link to the donors choose web site. I heard about the program awhile ago and thought it was neat.
Blogger SWH, at 3/19/2006 3:24 PM  

Add a comment