Wednesday, March 08, 2006

I gotta wear shades

I wish I felt so optimistic about the future and my life in general that I felt I needed protective eyewear to shield me from the stellar brightness of it all, but I can claim to feeling slightly better this week. It started on Sunday evening when I was watching T.V. and feeling rather sorry for myself, when it occurred to me that I didn't have to be sitting there blankly at the screen, that I really could do something more interesting or at least productive. "But what?" I found myself replying to myself, "I'm too tired and too depressed to do anything else right now." So, I tried a different tack, namely thinking about what I would like to be doing if someone were to walk in with a movie camera documenting my life. Would I really want them to come in and have to park the camera in front of the sofa, with me staring lifelessly at the T.V.? And tomorrow morning, would I be proud to be found in front of the computer playing endless rounds of solitaire or aimlessly surfing the net, or could I possibly get up to something more worthy of documenting? I thought about all of this for a while (while still half-watching whatever it was on T.V.) and though it didn't incite me to jump up and start renovating my basement or get to work on my long thought about novel, it did make me feel less depressed, or less obligated to be depressed, anyway. It wasn't an incredible epiphany, but I guess the idea of living more consciously gave me some sense of purpose.

And so, Monday morning I awoke feeling vaguely hopeful for the first time in weeks. And since then I've been more productive and positive and on the way to feelin' groovy. Of course, this could just be the other side of a mild case of manic depression, but I'm not going to question it for the moment.

The universe seems to agree with my mood, because I got an unsolicited email from a headhunter yesterday regarding a senior marcomm position that sounds right up my alley. I've got a phone interview with him later today, so keep your fingers crossed for me!

Now, it's time for the documentary cameras to follow me to the laundry room where I'll be sorting through my lights and darks. Better find my sunglasses first, or I may be blinded by the excitement of it all...
:: posted by Ann Howell, 10:50 AM

4 Comments:

Good luck with the interview! And I am glad you are having an "up" day today.
Blogger Anam Cara, at 3/08/2006 1:04 PM  
:) Glad to hear you had a less than totally shitty day or two! I hope the interview goes well.
Blogger SWH, at 3/08/2006 3:28 PM  
well, yea for getting up and getting with it. i confess: when i play endless computer games, i hear olympics announcers giving the play by play in the background.
Blogger laura, at 3/08/2006 8:35 PM  
Good luck with the interview! Fingers crossed. :-)
Blogger Julie, at 3/10/2006 5:08 AM  

Add a comment