Saturday, November 12, 2005

Nelson's here!

The little pup is lying peacefully beside me. I still can't believe that he's ours! I really held out suspicion that we would get him until the last minute. I went to the store yesterday to pick up a few things I thought I might need, and I flashed back to when I was in the same store a few weeks before we lost Lydia, finally daring to buy some onesies and a little stuffed lamb. I remember bringing those things back home and placing them in the Moses basket, still in awe of the fact that she would be here in a few months. Anyway, I know it's not the same thing, but I admit that I was a bit trepidatious just buying the puppy chow and a couple chew toys. I could imagine having those items sitting in a basket haunting me if we couldn't get the dog after all. But all went smoothly this morning. I gave the woman some money (which she claimed wasn't necessary, but which she also didn't refuse) and they gave us a cage and some food. Nelson hopped happily into the car and he was great on the ride home (besides passing absolutely *toxic* gas on a few occasions!). As soon as we got home and he was out of the car, he did his business (it seems there was cause for the bad gas - yuck!) and we had a nice little romp in the back yard. Once inside the house, he had a nice little poke 'round, gulped down some kibble and pounced after his new bone for a while. I took him for a short walk and then we came back indside. As soon as I sat down at the computer, he lay down beside me and settled in for a nice nap. He doesn't seem too traumatized, or anything (though I can't say the same thing about the cats!), so hopefully the transition will go smoothly.

Now I've got to start training him, which should be interesting. The first hurdle is going to be making him understand his new name (they had been calling him Tiger), but I don't think that will take long. I will post a picture soon, but be forewarned that he has a face only a mother could love. That being said, he has very expressive eyes and I'm sure he'll grown on us in time.

Anyway, that's all the news for now. I've got to go and write a short bio for church tomorrow. There's some sort of induction ceremony and I've got to stand up and say a few words. I don't mind public speaking, but I really don't like talking about myself. I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to talk about Lydia. Maybe I'll write two versions and decide once I'm there which one I'll use. I'm getting nervous just thinking about it...
:: posted by Ann Howell, 2:30 PM

8 Comments:

Yay, congrats... I think ugly dogs are the best kind; they appreciate you even more.
Blogger Larry Kollar, at 11/12/2005 3:03 PM  
Welcome, Nelson! (Love the name - my grandparents lived on Nelson Street in Chicago.) How did you come up with it?
Blogger lorem ipsum, at 11/12/2005 3:43 PM  
It's in honor of my husband's favorite historical character, Admiral Horatio Nelson. We thought of naming him "Horatio", but thought that was a bit of a mouthful :)
Blogger Ann Howell, at 11/12/2005 3:52 PM  
Yah welcome Nelson! So wonderful to hear he is safe and with you.
Blogger cat, at 11/12/2005 6:49 PM  
Oh YAY!! I'm so happy to hear that Nelson is home safe and sound and, from the sound of things, quite pleased to be there.

Lots of luck with your talk tomorrow. I don't know what I'd do either, but lately I've had the urge to tell anyone and everyone about Thomas. It could be a phase though, who knows. Anyway, lots of luck no matter what you decide!
Blogger msfitzita, at 11/12/2005 10:11 PM  
You know it's ok to hope for things, right? Just because you hope for them doesn't mean they're going to fall apart. And just because ou don't hope for them doesn't mean you're going to hurt less if they do fall apart.

Enough of my philosophizing.

Can't wait to see pictures!
Blogger Catherine, at 11/13/2005 10:01 AM  
Of course. Your husband's British.

Let's hope the birds don't poop all over your dog.
Blogger lorem ipsum, at 11/13/2005 10:11 AM  
It's funny that you say that, because his full name is Nelson Trafalgar, courtesy of my mother (it went something like, "Oh, Horatio Nelso -- Trafalgar Square, I get it! Hey, you should call him Nelson Trafalgar, because I love it when dogs have 2 names!"). So far, the pigeons have left him alone :)
Blogger Ann Howell, at 11/13/2005 7:02 PM  

Add a comment