Monday, October 24, 2005

So this is what being happy feels like

I can't believe it's been a whole week since my last post, but there you have it. I have been busy with work and social activities, but the real reason for this gap, I believe, is that I've been feeling pretty happy lately. It seems that the more content that I feel, the less I feel the need to express my innermost thoughts. The self-obsessed venting is only necessary when I'm feeling sad and frustrated, or something. I should get into the habit of writing anyway, I mean there were plenty of topics I felt like blogging about this week but just never got around to. I'm sure writing about subjects not related to pregnancy loss and my TTC frustrations would be a healthy exercise, especially since writing is something that I want to get more serious about.

Anyway, for now I'll just catch up for the week. Let's see... I went to the doctor on Friday, not for anything gynecological, but because I had this horrible chest pain (it felt like a huge knot, like I had just swallowed a hard-boiled egg whole) after a migraine that did not go away for a couple of days. Eating and sleeping were extremely uncomfortable, so I hauled myself over to the clinic and got examined by a very nice doctor. He thought I had some sort of esophageal spasm that was causing the constriction and he gave me some meds. It's gotten better, but the pain hasn't completely abated yet. At least I can sleep, which is a big improvement.

My latest work project is finished, so I've got a 4-week gap to fill until the next booked contract. I know I'll have a few more days work from this last client, but besides that I imagine I will be spending most of my time on self-promotion. I need to set up some medium-to-long term contracts for the beginning of the new year. It's my least favourite task, drumming up new work, but a necessary evil.

I've been going to the local Unitarian church lately and I'm thinking of joining. I'm not religious at all, really, but going there is like listening to a univerity lecture in a pretty setting and I like the people in the congregation. They have tons of cultural events during the week (concerts, book clubs, discussion groups, etc.) and I think it might be a nice outlet. When I told a friend about starting to go to church, he got really concerned that I was being sucked into a cult. But I think that had more to do with his own experience with the Jehovah's Witnesses (his ex-wife joined when she was on the brink of a nervous breakdown and dragged him along), than anything else. I promise not to start hanging around airport banging tambourines or proselytizing in any way. At any rate, I don't have any proper religious beliefs to try to spread and I'm not looking for any. Just a quiet place to think about how I can help the world around me and lead a "good" life.

Other than that, I am really uninspired to write about anything else right now. I'm going to go and see what the rest of the blog world has been up to this week and maybe my creative juices will be piqued enough to write something more interesting today.
:: posted by Ann Howell, 12:23 AM

4 Comments:

sounds like you're in a healthy place, so good for you.

i'm curious to see how the unitarian thing pans out. i'm always trying to figure out how to have the good parts of a faith community in my life without all the pesky involvement of god.
Blogger laura, at 10/24/2005 11:19 PM  
My husband has had a few of those esophageal spasms, and his are somewhat related to some reflux issues. He's had one outpatient procedure to stretch a web of tissue and his most recent visit to the GI guy he got a prescription for Protonix and an explanation that it could be caused by food allergies. Just something else to think about in case it persists.
Blogger Lisa P., at 10/25/2005 11:28 AM  
Hurrah for happy!

There are many types of Unitarian groups some are more christian oriented others are more inclusive of other beliefs. My folks were Uni's before being recruited by a cult out of the uni church. I hope it becomes a place of community and peace for you.
Blogger cat, at 10/25/2005 12:00 PM  
I'm glad to "hear" from you again - and I'm glad you're feeling happier. I like those moments - and one day I hope they turn into days and weeks and months. I hope that for you too.
Blogger msfitzita, at 10/25/2005 10:50 PM  

Add a comment