Friday, October 28, 2005

Homeward bound

I'm about to depart for a long weekend at my parents' in Boston, so this will be the last entry for a few days (I can hear the sighs of disappointment!). I'm really looking forward to the visit, since I haven't seen the folks since July. We'll have lots to talk about (the crumbling of the current administration should be good for a couple hours of conversation, at least -- my dad loves to gloat) and the change of scenery will do me good. I've been staring at the same four walls for so long, I'm beginning to fear for my sanity.

One small item to report before my departure. Last evening I was lucky enough to go to a reading by one of my all-time favourite contemporary writers, Julian Barnes. It was surreal to hear him speak in person, listening to the voice behind some of my best-loved books. I hope it doesn't ruin my reading of him in the future, now that I can summon his actual voice in my head. Anyway, it was very cool to have seen him. I even got him to sign my copy of Love, Etc., and I got it from the horse's mouth that he's planning to reprise the characters therein at some later date (after he's let them age a bit, as he put it).

All right, I leave you with a bit of Friday fun: Cool illusion

Be good, folks. Catch you on the flip side!
:: posted by Ann Howell, 9:46 AM

4 Comments:

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Blogger Catherine, at 10/28/2005 12:30 PM  
I tried the little exercise with the dots. That was cool. All the pink dots did go away!!
Blogger Heather, at 10/28/2005 4:05 PM  
may this weekend trip be the pause that refreshes you!
Blogger laura, at 10/29/2005 12:08 AM  
That illusion was very cool! I like Julian Barnes too. Flaubert's Parrot was brilliant. Have a great long weekend!
Blogger zarqa, at 11/01/2005 9:18 PM  

Add a comment