Wednesday, October 26, 2005

An exercise in fertility

Even though I told myself that I would not obsess about temperatures and charting and all of that this month, I find myself doing exactly that. My temp dipped the other day, then spiked up yesterday, which was right around when I should have been ovulating, so I was pretty optimistic that ovulation had indeed occurred. When it dropped slightly this morning, frustration washed over me. Was this going to be yet another anovulatory month? Am I going to have to go onto round three of Clomid, or should we go on to a stronger protocol? I spent 1/2 hour pouring over the chart gallery in FF, looking for pregnancy charts that had patterns like mine. And I found myself extremely relieved to see plenty of charts with dips at exactly 2 DPO -- all was not lost! But this whole line of thinking is just ridiculous. Even if my temp goes back up (and stays up) there will be no way to tell if it was a successful month for a couple of weeks. No matter how many charts I find with post-O dips, it will have no effect on what my body is doing right now. I either ovulated the other day, or maybe I didn't. Maybe I will ovulate in a couple of days, or maybe this will be another anovulatory month. Maybe I'm already knocked up, maybe not. Obsessing about it is not going to change anything! So, I resolve not to go back to FF again today, or waste any more time worrying about my fertility signs. Right after I take this last OPK, of course...
:: posted by Ann Howell, 10:56 AM

5 Comments:

This is exactly why my OB is against charting. Have I ever listened? Nooooo.
Blogger lorem ipsum, at 10/26/2005 12:19 PM  
I can so relate. I wrote this in August: http://nervouskitty.blogspot.com/2005/08/too-much-information.html

You can see how well I stuck to THAT decision...
Blogger Muddystingbee, at 10/26/2005 3:30 PM  
I used the cervical position/fluid method, I didn't chart it, either, just poked and looked at mucus and made a request for sex. I think charting would have made me insane!

Here's the site I used to help me:
www.fertilityuk.orgnfps25.html#indicatorsoffertilityslug

There are charts there, but I didn't use them.
Blogger grumpyABDadjunct, at 10/26/2005 9:48 PM  
I try to chart cervical fluid and position, too, but the results aren't always conclusive (I *never* have any EWCM, for example). Mind you, I still think that those are the most important signs and I record them the best I can. I just wish that index finger turned blue or something when I was about to ovulate -- it would make this whole process a lot easier, lol!
Blogger Ann Howell, at 10/27/2005 9:13 AM  
I'm wishing you the best in your attempt at not getting too obsessed this month... Even though its practically impossible.

I'm also glad to hear that you've been happy lately and in a mostly good place. (From your last post) I feel like i have glimpses of feeling that way, but it doesn't stick. Its good to know that with some more time I should get there too...

Although my current mild caffeine buzz (mmm... latte) is currently pushing me into a pretty happy state even though I’m at work where happiness is sometimes hard to find. Drugs are good sometimes!

Anyways, mostly I just wanted to say hi and hope that this cycle goes smoothly!
Blogger SWH, at 10/27/2005 10:50 AM  

Add a comment