Friday, August 05, 2005

Cheesy country songs make me cry

God, I'm in a bad mood today! I don't know whether it's because my cycle is all over the place this month (with regard to all of the "signs") and I have no idea whether I've ovulated yet or not (which is just really frustrating at this point), or because it doesn't really matter since our "intimate life" has been so pitiful lately that there's practically no chance of conception unless a miracle occurs. I know there are plenty of valid reasons why my DH has not been too keen lately, but it doesn't do my libido (or my pg. chances) much good.

On another note, my new favorite radio station is K103.7 out of Kahnawake, a local Mowhawk community. They play an ecclectic mix of current (sometimes "alternative") pop and "classics" from bygone decades. I especially like to listen when I'm in the car during the day and my local NPR station has switched to it's all-classical-music format (I like classical, but more at the end of the day when I need to relax). Anyway, on the way into the office the other day they played this sort of country anthem (not my style at all, but that's what I like about this station, you hear all sorts) and although I was only half-listening to it soon I noticed that there were tears streaming down my face. There I was sitting in traffic, practically sobbing because the words to this cheesy country song made me think of my daughter. I later learned that the song was "Not a Day Goes By" by Lonestar, and although it is not something that I would listen to for any other aesthetic reason, I have now put it onto my iTunes list of songs for Lydia. These are the "poignant" lyrics that got me going:

"Got a picture of you, I carry in my heart
Close my eyes to see it, when the night gets dark
Got a memory of you, I carry in my soul
Wrap it close around me, when the world gets cold

If you asked me how I'm doing
I'd say just fine
But the truth is, baby
If you could read my mind

Not a day goes by
That I don't think of you
After all this time
You're still with me it's true
Somehow you remain
Locked so deep inside
That baby, baby, oh, baby
Not a day goes by"

---

Under normal circumstances, trite crap like that would make me flip the dial faster than if I'd heard Rush Limbaugh spouting off, but I swear this loss has made me ridiculously sensitive to the weirdest things. I get teary-eyed at insurance commercials, for god's sake.

Anyway, I've got to try to cheer up and get some work done. Maybe if I tune into K103.7 I'll hear a song that will make me spontaneously break into peals of laughter. It's worth a shot.
:: posted by Ann Howell, 9:04 AM

1 Comments:

Hardly a song goes by that I don't listen intently to every word. Heck, I can even twist the meaning of most any song "just so" that it fits my particular mood. I was listening to Alanis Morisette the other day, thinking, wow she's really deep. And bitter. I think I like her again.
Blogger Julie, at 8/05/2005 11:20 AM  

Add a comment